Regents Agenda Items
Policy & Records Administration acts as the San Diego campus liaison with the secretary for the UC Regents and the UC Office of the President on coordination of Regents agenda items submission and preparation for local meetings. See a list of item submission dates (PDF).
For information about the Regents meetings, such as the next agenda, online items, and the live audio broadcast, visit www.universityofcalifornia.edu/regents.
Campus-specific items subject to regental approval typically require weeks or months of preparation. Campus departments coordinate with the appropriate Office of the President departments before, during, and after regental action. Campus departments should follow these steps in developing Regents' agenda items:
- Use the 1+2 Report to notify Policy & Records Administration of upcoming agenda items.
- Format the item per UCOP samples.
- Coordinate with the appropriate campus Vice Chancellor and prepare a signature item for the Chancellor's approval. Deadlines vary by type of agenda item. Some items must be prepared and approved many weeks in advance. All San Diego items must be approved by the Chancellor before being placed on the agenda.
- Once the signature item has been signed and approved, inform the appropriate Vice President at the Office of the President. Note that some items must be prepared and approved weeks in advance. Deadlines vary by type of agenda item.
- Office of the President and Secretary of the Regents make the final determination about which items will be placed on the agenda. Once finalized, they publish the Meeting Agenda and Schedule.
Each UC San Diego Vice Chancellor has a representative responsible for submitting a report forecasting Regents' items 1 and 2 meetings in advance. This report, known as the 1+2 report, should be emailed to the campus Regents' coordinator, Stasi Chase, by the deadline.
For each item, the 1+2 report should include a title and short descriptive summary, identify the appropriate Regents committee, and indicate the approximate submission date anticipated, in the next 4–6 months. A combined campuswide report will be submitted to the Chancellor.
Campus departments are also expected to submit 1+2 reports to their appropriate Vice President.
|VC Area||Item Type*|
|Academic Affairs||educational policy, faculty matters, research funding|
|Campus Counsel**||legal matters, litigation, settlements|
|Equity, Diversity & Inclusion||campus climate|
|External & Business Affairs||compensation, donor matters, foundations, human resources, naming, retirement benefits|
|Health Sciences||Health Sciences, UC San Diego Health Care System|
|Marine Sciences||Marine Sciences|
|Research||contracts, grants, research|
|Resource Management & Planning||audit, budget, capital planning, construction, policy compliance|
|Student Affairs||admissions, student financial support|
*Please note that this is a representative sample and not an inclusive list. Often, items extend across multiple VC areas. When this happens, those items must be approved by all appropriate Vice Chancellors. If your item is not listed here and you are unsure which vice chancellors must provide approval, please contact Stasi Chase, (858) 534-3394, or Deirdre Vernon, (858) 534-0103.
**Although Campus Counsel is not a VC area, they advise the Chancellor regarding legal matters, including all pending, ongoing, and settled litigation.