Intergenerational Collaboration Initiative
To create a community that embraces and recognizes the value of intergenerational exchange in educational, environmental, professional, social and personal development.
UC San Diego’s intergenerational collaboration effort aims to engage students, faculty, staff, alumni and retirees in creating solid interdependent relationships through organized, interactive programs that improve the physical and emotional health of all generations.
UC San Diego Intergenerational Housing
Business Case Analysis (PDF)
Through multigenerational interaction, we aim to:
- Provide the tools, resources and support that will promote safety, healthy eating, routine exercise and ongoing education.
- Facilitate education, interaction and understanding of age coexistence across UC San Diego and surrounding communities.
- Provide a space with opportunities and services that promote meaningful engagement and cooperation where individuals of all ages are valued as part of the community.
- Build intergenerational relationships to increase civic engagement and cultural competence.
- Develop programs, policies and practices that increase cooperation, interaction and exchange among different age groups, focusing on:
- Social integration and mentoring
- Healthcare and supportive services
Harvey Checkoway, Ph.D.
Department of Family Medicine and Public Health
Deborah Kado, M.D., M.S.
Associate Professor, School of Medicine
Internist/Geriatrician, Director, Osteoporosis Clinic, UC San Diego Health System
Deputy Director of Clinical Research and Education, Stein Institute for Research on Aging
Leslie R. Lewis, Ph.D., MPH
Lecturer, Urban Studies & Planning Program
Visiting Lecturer, Department of Anthropology
Director, Life Course Scholar Program
Lori P. Montross Thomas Ph.D.
Assistant Adjunct Professor
Family Medicine & Public Health
Keith Pezzoli, Ph.D.
Director, Urban Studies and Planning Program
Director, Center on Sustainability Science Planning and Design
ThisWeek@UCSanDiego: A Former Food Desert Now Feeds a Community’s Spirit
Mirle Rabinowitz Bussell, Ph.D.
Continuing Lecturer and Director of Field Research, Urban Studies & Planning Program
Associate Director, Center on Sustainability Science Planning and Design
Co-Director, Life Course Scholar Program
Paul L. Watson, Jr. MSHS
Executive Director and Associate Executive Director for Community Engagement and Development
The Global Action Research Center
Grand Partners Advisor
Jennifer Bowser, Sustainability Program Coordinator
Public Health Club: Intergenerational Programs
- Kaitie Bessinger, undergraduate, Human Biology
- Rachel Bilchak, undergraduate, Public Health
- Genesis Hill, undergraduate, Urban Studies and Planning Program
- Jeong Hoon Kim, undergraduate, Biochemistry and Cellular Biology
- Jessica Lu, undergraduate, Public Health
- Muna Pina, undergraduate, Urban Studies and Planning
Grand Partners in Service
- Rebecca Chong, undergraduate, Cognitive Science, Volunteer Coordinator
- Selena López, undergraduate, General Biology and Global Health, Student Outreach Coordinator
- Quang Nguyen, undergraduate, General Biology and Public Health, Senior Outreach Coordinator
- Reyna Tejada, undergraduate, Human Development, Special Events Coordinator
- Lucy Wu, undergraduate, Microbiology, Administrative Affairs and Historian
- New Program Unites Generations from Boomers to Z
- New UC San Diego Program Bridges Gap Between Millennials and Seniors
- Intergenerational Roundtable Discussion Group
- Intergenerational TED Talks
- Intergenerational Games
- Grand Partners in Service
For information about the Intergenerational Collaboration Initiative, contact Karyn Speidel.